Weekly Marketing Technology News

Innovate Your E-mail Marketing and More Articles

News travels fast and there’s a lot of it out there. It’s easy to miss something relevant and important. Let us help!

Ever Friday, we publish the most relevant and important articles in a series of highlights for Business, Web, Technology, SEO, Marketing and Social Media. To read the full story, click the headline of each article.

Here are some articles you may have missed for the week of October 17, 2014.

Business Highlight

What The Top 1% Of Software Engineers Do That The Other 99% Do Not
Forbes by Michael O. Church

My first inclination was to disclaim, “I’m not top 1%, maybe top N%” where N is some slightly higher integer, because false precision makes great humble-brags. In reality, I have a hard time identifying “top 1%” (where that line is, which side of it I would be on) because it depends on who’s counted in the population as “software engineers” and who isn’t. Do we count the data scientists using R? The business analysts writing Excel? Still, I think I understand the approximate level you’re aiming for, and so I’m going to try to answer your question. You want to know how to become an elite engineer (2.0 on a scale I will soon introduce).

Web Highlight

Wayfinding For The Mobile Web
Smashing Magazine by Dennis Kardys

When designing mobile first, navigation takes a back seat to content, and ruthless editing paves the way for more focused experiences. The pursuit of simplicity, combined with the tight spatial constraints of mobile viewports, often leads us to strip away elements in an attempt to minimize the interface. But the space-saving convenience we gain through clever editing and a compact UI can come at the expense of the very navigational aids our users rely on.

To help balance the craving for visual simplicity with the need to keep websites easy to navigate, we can borrow some concepts from the world of wayfinding. This article shows how you can apply these concepts to the mobile web.

Technology Highlight

The $99 Nexus Player Is Google’s Answer To The Apple TV
Tech Crunch by Matt Burns

Remember Google TV? It’s gone. Now there is Android TV and it promises to do everything Google TV couldn’t including play games for just $99.

Google partnered with Asus for the first device. Called, Nexus Player, the set top box is reminiscent of the Fire TV and runs Android TV with the help of a quad-core 1.8GHz Intel Atom processor with PowerVR Series 6 graphics, 1GB of RAM and 8GB of onboard storage.

Android TV is a much more simple interface than what was previously used with Google TV. The interface is flat and presents apps and movies on a grid. Users select their options via a remote that’s very similar to the one that ships with Amazon’s Fire TV — even the voice search button is in the same spot.

SEO Highlight

SEO in 30 Minutes a Day – Optimizing Your Website
Website Magazine by Travis Bliffen

Last weeks’ post covered some ideas for quick content creation and the week prior gave you the knowledge to quickly find keywords that could be used as a starting point for content and ultimately, greater online visibility.

Today you are going to learn how to implement keywords and content into your site along with a proper on page optimization structure.

Marketing Highlight

How to Innovate Your E-mail Marketing: Unlock the Fourth Type of Campaign
MarketingProfs by Michael Fisher

There’s still room for innovation in e-mail marketing.

Many are quick to write off email as old-fashioned, but think about the customer experience: Members of your audience no longer sit down to check their Hotmail account once a day or once a week; email is now a habitual part of the consumer and customer experience.

People refresh their email while waiting in line at the grocery store. Bills and informal updates alike are filtered through their inbox. Social media updates are delivered to the email inbox, even as social is predicted to overtake or eclipse traditional email.

Social Media Highlight

How to Create an Effective Social Media System
Duct Tape Marketing by John Jantsch

Many marketers and social media experts have made social media about many of the wrong things – it’s not a broadcast channel – it’s a tool for creating personal connections and sharing useful information. It’s not about building large and mostly hollow followings – it’s about finding the right group or the right handful of prospects that want very much to hear what you have to share.

When you view social media use in this light another long-standing assumption falls by the wayside – the fact that you can’t or shouldn’t sell using social media.

 

What did we miss?  Let us know what news got your attention this week in the comments below.